Cuando una mujer encuentra un libro (XIX). The Great Gatsby


"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope"


"there was an excitement in her voice that men who had cared for her found difficult to forget: a singing compulsion, a whispered "Listen", a promise that she had done gay, exciting things just  while since and that there were gay, exciting things hovering in the next hour."

"I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."

"for the party (...) a simplicity of heart (...) was its own ticket of admission."

"He hadn't once ceased looking at Daisy, and I think he revalued everything in his house according to the measure of response it drew from her well﹣loved eyes."

"No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart."

"Through all he said, even through his appalling sentimentality. I was reminded of something﹣an elusive rhythm, a fragment of lost words, that I had heard somewhere a long time ago. For a moment a phrase tried to take shape in my mouth and my lips parted like a dumb man's, as though there was more struggling upon them than a wisp of startled air. But they made no sound, and what I had almost remembered was uncommunicable forever."

" I'm thirty, I said, I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."


"(...) and Gatsby was overwhelmingly aware of the youth and mystery that wealth imprisons and preserves, of the freshness of many clothes, and of Daisy, gleaming like silver, safe and proud above the hot struggles of the poor."

"He stretched out his hand desperately as if to snatch only a wisp of air, to save a fragment of the spot that she had made lovely for him."




The Great Gatsby, by Scott Fitzgerald.



Comentarios